Magnetic Nord is the story about our homestead in Northern Minnesota on the shore of Lake Superior.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Wood Shed

Wood sheds are crucial to successful fire wood production.  Under the roof of a shed and not exposed to elements split wood will cure.  Cured wood burns hotter and cleaner than green wood leaving you warmer and the stove pipe cleaner and free of creosote.  

I tested out a new construction technique for this structure. It is the first time I've built a post & beam with local spruce posts.The frame was bolted together with lag bots.   The posts are peeled spruce all harvested within a few hundred yards from the site. 

Once the main frame is bolted together I fastened the rafter ties. 

The inspection process was grueling!

The roof rafters go on.  This really "pulls" the structure together.  Notice the "boss" inspecting my work!

I then roofed it with 1/2" OSB and rolled asphalt.  The two opposite corners are sided with one inch thick boards spaced one inch apart to allow ample air flow to dry the fire wood. 

I laugh because it took me three months to build this relatively simple structure.  Excuses aside, Penelope was born the week I started the project so I was a little preoccupied!  Now I have a dry place to make my cuts and dry our wood for the winter... 






No comments:

Post a Comment